Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Using Layer Thumbnails for Selections

Sometimes in digital scrapbooking we want to do something that would be so easy with paper but we don't really know how to get the right look digitally.  One of the ways that we can create certain effects is to use layer masks to selectively hide parts of layers, allowing lower layers to show through.  That is just what I did in this layout to have the T. Rex. stepping through the frame.
Tyrant Lizard King (Royal Harvest value collection by Erica Belton)
For me, one of the tricks of making layer masks work for you and not against you is to use the layer thumbnails to make selections for you. We do this by pressing Ctrl while clicking on the thumbnail of a layer to create a selection of all of the pixels over 50% in opacity.  With this layout, I used this technique to hide part of the dinosaur that we want to be behind the frame.  Here's what I did:
First, I created the basic layer structure of my layout.  This ended up changing by the time I was done the layout, but for now it works.  (I used Topaz ReMask to create my extracted dinosaur layer and then duplicated that layer, placing one over and one under the frame.)  Then I added a layer mask to the topmost layer.


Then, I pressed Ctrl while clicking on the thumbnail of the frame.  You can see from the layout that the frame is selected with the marching ants while I still have the layer mask active in the layers palette.  
Finally, I painted with black on the layer mask to hide the parts of the dinosaur that were to be behind the frame.  Because I have an active selection, my painting only affects the areas within the selection.  This gives me a very accurate line compared to free-handing the brush. 

Now it appears that the dinosaur is stepping through the frame.  


I hope that this technique will help you to create more realistic interaction of elements on the page.  You can use it to wrap ribbons, flourishes and leaves around other elements more quickly and accurately.  Here are a couple of other layouts where I used this technique.
Kindergarten 1979 (Peaches and Sage Add-on Pack by Erica Belton)

 I added a layer mask to the frame and selected the photo.


First Green of Spring (Glitter Me Spring 2 by Erica Belton)
 I added a layer mask to the circle frame and selected the paper strips one at time.


Silk Dyed Eggs (Tasty Tangelo Value Collection by Erica Belton)
I added a layer mask to the string and selected the punched paper.


I would love to know if this technique adds to your layouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment